Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Mom! It's Al-Qa'ida on the Phone

I watched the entire speech. What an amazing pack of lies. I've read about everything there is on the web from traditional media and bloggers. It seems just about everyone else is calling Bush on his lies too.

I was going to do an in-depth piece on the speech, but I think there are several sites that have done brilliant jobs of this, so I will link to them all at the end of this brief post.

My Republican husband didn't want to watch the speech. He's had enough of Bush. I'm sure he'll remain a Republican, but he has stopped paying attention to Bush and his cronies. At one point he was angry with me for calling Karl Rove a despicable human being. Now, he agrees with me. They may not be losing their base, but their base can't keep them in office. They are losing the swing voters.

There were only three points where I was moved to speak to my television set last night out of anger or delight. The first was with Bush's condescension to legislators about partisanship. I have heard several political commentators and legislators say that the past 10 years have produced more tension and anger between the two parties than they've ever felt. I have two words for you. Karl. Rove. I could probably add the arrogance of Tom DeLay, Bill Frist, Dennis Hastert and any number of other Congressmen who have stepped up the partisan political games over the past 10 years, but Karl Rove has done more to attack, belittle and abuse Democrats and their supporters than any other person in recent political history. If there is partisan anger it originated with the arrogance of the Republicans as they assumed control of Congress and it has escalated to an unbearable level under Karl Rove's guidance. Clean your own house, Mr. President.

The next time I erupted in anger was when Bush defended his illegal wiretapping of innocent American citizens without a warrant. He says this was only done with calls from Al-Qa'ida . Gee George, I didn't know they had listed numbers. How do you possibly know it's a phone call from a terrorist unless you are listening in? How do you know who has picked up on the other end unless you are listening in? In other words, you are listening to them all in the hopes that you will be able to find out when Al-Qa'ida is calling and where they might be calling from. I know this is over simplifying a pretty sophisticated wiretap setup, but you wouldn't be accused of doing anything illegal if you were only listening in on KNOWN AL-QA'IDA TERRORIST'S CALLS. Do you honestly think we are buying it? Yes, I know you have some inbreds in your party still consuming your talking points as fast as Karl Rove can crap them out, but this is utterly ridiculous. Monitoring the calls of citizens of this country without a warrant is illegal. End.Of.Story.

My last eruption actually required a rewind of the DVR to make sure I saw what I thought I had seen. The Democrats stood as one (Unity at last!) ,applauded and cheered when the President bemoaned the fact that he couldn't pass a truly crappy reform of Social Security. I couldn't believe my eyes and ears and it obviously upset Junior because he started shaking his head and wagging his finger and appeared a bit miffed. I for one truly enjoyed that moment and still have it recorded to my DVR and will watch it every now and then as a reminder of what it looks like and feels like when the Democrats are unified.

Anderson Cooper said he thought the bit with the applause was silly or something of that nature. Well, Andy, as soon as you lose the bib and the diapers you might just understand why it wasn't silly. This from a man who made the President's hair color a post-SOTU topic of discussion on an international news show.


Think Progress debunks the SOTU. Newsweek is here. Froomkin did his usual stellar job and links to quite a few other papers and bloggers. The Washington Post article is here.
http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping

4 Comments:

Blogger Qusan said...

He says this was only done with calls from Al-Qa'ida . Gee George, I didn't know they had listed numbers. How do you possibly know it's a phone call from a terrorist unless you are listening in? How do you know who has picked up on the other end unless you are listening in? In other words, you are listening to them all in the hopes that you will be able to find out when Al-Qa'ida is calling and where they might be calling from

This is exactly what I said! Where is their Corporate Headquarters so that you know the call is coming from them? He made it sound like there was an Al-Qaida central station or something ... unfortunately, there are still those who believe him.

3:33 PM EST  
Blogger B. Muse said...

There are way too many who believe him or who will simply not bother to question this.

After the last couple of days though I am beginning to sense a bit of a change.

9:20 PM EST  
Blogger B. Muse said...

e - I believe that Bush has also proven himself to be a liar time and time again. While arrogance resides in both parties, there is only one party that controls both houses of Congress and the White House. There is only one party currently embroiled in corruption and scandals that are almost too numerous to count. George Bush and his war cabal lied this country into war and innocent people died. Bill Clinton got a blowjob in the oval office which in and of itself is not an impeachable offence. However, Bush lies us into war and illegally wiretaps innocent American citizens...basically pisses all over the Constitution and that's somehow the same? I don't think you'e a swing voter at all. I'm not sure you're even awake.

4:32 PM EST  
Blogger Cu'cullen said...

Don't lose the faith. Ok, so you have no character flaws and you're perfect in every way. That's great, but I except President Bush as the common guy he is, warts and all! He still stands by what he said 9/11 and is busy gettin after it..Most politicos would have let a little time go by for memories to fade and business as usual..That's the way it was for 30yrs of hostages and murder. An American (like those on flight 80)said that's it - time to kick ass and take no names! ooooorrrraaaahhhh

10:20 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home